How Facial Plastic Surgery Addresses Age and Volume LossPosted on Monday, February 21st, 2022 by Douglas M. Stevens, MD
The aging process causes a cascade of changes in your appearance. The loss of muscle tone and diminished production of the proteins, collagen and elastin in combination with excessive sun exposure and other factors can take a visible toll on your face. These changes may occur faster than you anticipated. Our double board-certified facial plastic surgeon at Stevens Facial Plastic and Laser Center can turn back the years and restore a youthful complexion with a customized surgical approach to address your unique needs.
How the Aging Process Affects Your Looks
As you get older, your skin becomes drier, and the fatty tissue beneath the skin on your face shrinks and descends. The plump cheeks and hydrated skin of your youth may be replaced with a sunken or gaunt appearance, “jowling” (fat accumulation and sagging skin under the chin) and deepening lines and wrinkles.
Lines and wrinkles are unavoidable, but some of your habits and your genetics may create these creases earlier. Sun exposure, smoking and excessive alcohol consumption increase lines and wrinkles and lead to dark spots and blotchy skin.
Many people struggle with drooping eyelids because the fat in the upper eyelids sinks, causing puffiness near the eyelashes and weakening muscles that make it difficult to open your eyelid fully. This sagging may impact your vision.
Even your ears and nose will suffer the effects of aging, with the ears getting longer as cartilage grows and the nasal tip droops as the cartilage and connective tissue weakens.
Luckily, there are ways to combat these inevitable signs of aging.
Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures to Turn Back Time and Gravity
Dr. Douglas Stevens is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon who knows how to balance the unique features of your face with the age-defying benefits of these procedures:
- Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty): Removes sagging, loose skin on the upper eyelids, tightens the underlying muscles and removes or repositions displaced fat in the upper and lower eyelids. The face procedure reduces a tired appearance by elevating the eyelids for a well-rested look and restores a full range of vision.
- Brow Lift: A drooping brow can make you look tired or angry and create a hooded effect that hangs over your upper eyelids and reduces your visual field. A brow lift addresses sagging brows by elevating the tissue of the forehead to which improves a low-hanging brow, forehead lines and “11’s” between the brows.
- Cheek Augmentation: Hollowing happens in your cheeks as the fat shifts downward and drops into the lower face and jaw. Cheek augmentation can be created a with a dermal filler called Bellafill which can restore youthful fullness. Bellafill’s unique structure provides a younger appearance for five years or longer, and Dr. Stevens is a Bella Diamond provider, meaning he’s in the top 1 percent for Bellafill nationwide.
- Mini Facelift: The “mini” facelift is best for people with mild to moderate signs of aging, typically in their 40s and 50s. If you have some skin elasticity and few to no chin and neck concerns, the mini-facelift can restore a youthful appearance in your lower face.
- Facelift: The facelift procedure can address multiple age-related concerns, such as deep lines and wrinkles, volume loss, jowling, platysmal bands and drooping facial and neck skin. Dr. Stevens uses the MLS laser system to improve healing after a facelift and decrease discomfort and swelling.
These procedures can be combined for complete facial rejuvenation with our double board-certified facial plastic surgeon.
Schedule Your Facial Plastic Surgery Consultation in Fort Myers
Stevens Facial Plastic and Laser Center can customize your facial rejuvenation through one or more face procedures with Dr. Stevens. Schedule your consultation at our Fort Myers office today.